Aikido is a Japanese form of self-defense created by Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969), known as O-Sensei, or “Great Teacher.” Aikido was built upon several other martial arts, some of which include daitoryu-(aiki) jiujutsu, fencing, spear fighting, and samurai sword. It has a very rich history and philosophical background that centers on peaceful resolution of conflict and self-improvement through training.
Our basic style of Aikido comes directly from Iwama, Japan (home of the Aiki shrine), as taught by Morihiro Saito Sensei, 9th Dan, who served as student to O-Sensei longer than any other aikidoka.
- Visit a memorial to Morihiro Saito Sensei (courtesy of Takemusu Aikido Association).
- All Aikido instructors are certified through Aikido World Headquarters, Hombu Dojo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Aikido of Virginia Beach is a proud member of the California Aikido Association and AikidoKids.com.
- See the spotlight on Scott Tomlin, 3rd Dan as featured dojo-cho for December 2004.
- Learn about other dojos in the California Aikido Association at the Aikido’ka website.
- Visit the Aikido Instructors Organization (AIO).